About Me

My photo
Helllllo there I'm Amy :) I am a graduate with a 2:1 degree in Stop Motion animation. My main specialty is creating characters and environments using fabric such as felt. This blog is just a place for me to share some of my work. I have a long way to go still but, I'm determined to improve my skills and someday make a living out of something I'm passionate about :) I hope you all enjoy viewing my blog and if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I don't bite :)

23 November 2012

Two Part Mould Part 1






To cast the arms and torso for my puppet I need to make a two part mould. To make the first side of the mould, I needed to submerge the sculpted arms in plastercine so half of them were exposed. The half way point is where the split line will be. Once the arms were fully submerged, I needed to smooth out the plastercine closest to the armsas much as I could without damaging the arms themselves. Once this was done, the arms were ready to be boxed in the same way as my previous one part mould. Before preparing the plaster for this mould, registration points should be placed on top of the plastercine. This is to make sure that both sides of the mould fit back together after separation  I also added a plastercine fillet around the edge of the box walls to make sure no plaster would leak down the sides once the plaster was poured in. (Our lecturer Martin told us afterwards we didn't have to do this but its personal preference really). Vaseline should be added to the walls and on the surface of the plastercine bed around the arms so it is easier to pry the mould apart once it has set.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! Don't be shy!