First post! Ooooooo..
These pictures are about a year old now but I wanted to post some stuff I made before coming to University.
This dinosaur armature was made when I studied BTEC National Diploma in Art & Design in college.
It was not built for animating. It was built to to experiment with plaster casting and latex.
The armature was made from wood for the head and body while thick armature wire was used for the neck,legs and tail.
The armature was built up with layers of foam that were stuck down using a hot glue gun.
After this, a bowl of plaster was made up and I dipped plaster strips into the mixture and then stuck them on the armature’s body to smooth out the bumps of the foam.
To make the cast for the dinosaur’s skin, I first had a small plastic sheet and I rolled up small individual balls of plastercine to replicate skin.
I then made a base around the plastic sheet blocking it all in with cardboard walls and gluing them together tightly so once plaster was poured in, none of it would seep out.
Once the plaster had hardened, a cast of the skin was made.
To make the latex skin, I then poured a layer of latex over the plaster cast.
Once it was dry, I was able to peel it off to have a sheet of latex skin ready for applying to the armature.
I repeated the above process to completely cover the armature’s body.
To colour the skin, I used a airbrush and sprayed it all over with acrylic paint :)
I’m sorry if I’ve been extremely descriptive over the casting.
I have no pictures of the original process so I thought I’d try and explain it the best I could in my own words.
Hope everyone enjoys reading :)